President Bush spewed feces at the APEC Summit. I have excerpted part of his prepared remarks, marking splatters with superscripts. My comments are linked to them in an enumerated list below the excerpt.
As Prepared for Delivery
September 06, 2007 06:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time
…Second, nations in the Asia Pacific are providing economic assistance to struggling communities where the terrorists operate – so we can strengthen moderate leaders and give citizens in these communities alternatives to the path of radicalism and violence1…. Fourth, nations in the Asia Pacific are working to defeat the terrorists’ hateful ideology2. Prime Minister Lee of Singapore says “the fight against terrorism is a long-term ideological struggle.” He is right. We must bring the terrorists to justice3, and to prevail in this struggle, we must also defeat them in the battle of ideas4. Our enemies are followers of a violent and narrow ideology5, a political vision that despises freedom, rejects tolerance, and crushes all dissent. Their goal is to impose this ideology on millions across the world6. For there to be peace, we must promote an alternative vision of human dignity and human liberty – a hopeful vision far stronger than the dark appeal of resentment and murder7. And that is precisely what leaders across the Asia Pacific region are doing.
In Indonesia, President Yudhoyono hosted an interfaith dialogue soon after taking office where he called on his fellow citizens to ensure that “the forces of light, reason, and hope overpower the forces of darkness, despair, and violence.” The head of the largest Muslim organization in Indonesia, Dr. Hasyim Muzadi, was one of the first Muslim leaders to visit Ground Zero in New York. He puts it this way: “There is no violence, cruelty, chaos, and viciousness on behalf of religion, including Islam.”8
In Malaysia, Prime Minister Badawi is working to promote what he calls “Islam Hadhari” – or “Civilizational Islam”9 – and he has called on his fellow Malaysians to “show by example that a Muslim country can be modern, democratic10, tolerant, and economically competitive.”
In the Philippines, President Arroyo has reached out to Muslim leaders and has called Filipinos to oppose “terrorists who kill, bomb, and maim to enforce an ideology of evil.” And a group of leading Filipino Islamic jurists issued a joint sermon declaring “Islam and terrorism stand on the opposite ends of the moral spectrum. Murder and the killing of innocent civilians in warfare is strictly forbidden.”11
- Economic development is not a substitute for Jihad. Jihad is doctrine driven. Usama bin Laden was a wealthy man. His wealth did not dissuade him from participating in Jihad. Many of the homicide bombers were law & medicine students with bright futures.
- What is that hateful ideology? Why not name it: Islam. Why not disclose the doctrines which drive it?
- Who are the terrorists? How many are there? How do you hope to locate, identify & prosecute every Muslim who supports, sympathizes with, finances or facilitates terrorism?
- What ideas? Why not identify the doctrines which drive Jihad? What are you doing; what do you propose to do to counter those ideas?
- What ideology? Why won’t you name it? Why won’t you list its idea set?
- Their goal is to impose Islam upon the entire world: total domination on a global scale. Why won’t you acknowledge this fact?
- “Dark appeal of resentment and murder”? No, Mr. President; the glorious promise of eternity in a garden flowing with rivers of milk and wine with low hanging fruit always in season; in the company of perpetual virgins & little boys, fresh as pearls. That glorious promise is contrasted with the terrible threat of eternity in Hell fire; eating bitter burning thorns and drinking boiling water. A Muslim earns Paradise by participating in Jihad and is condemned to Hell for shirking. Do you not understand that Muslims have sold their lives & property to Allah in return for Paradise, for which they kill and are killed? They have written off earthly prosperity and pleasure for the eternal.
- The worst Goddamn lies ever told!!! Totally malignant & malicious; without redemption! See the doctrines of Islam exposed below, which sanctify conquest, genocide & terrorism..
- Pure fraud; there is no such thing! Islam is only what Allah revealed in the Qur’an and Muhammad exemplified in his Sira & Sunnah. Anything else is not Islam.
- Impossible! Only Allah has the right to rule. Once Allah and his Messenger have decreed a matter, no dissent is permitted. Islamic law is the Qur’an & Sunnah; manmade legislation is blasphemous.
- Malicious Malarkey!!! Kuffar are regarded as rebels against Allah. Their lives and property are not sacred to Muslims. Kuffar are listed as Najis things, along with cadavers and excrement. Killing them is expressly commanded in 8:67 and 47:4. Below you will find an ahadith in which a captive describes the examination and slaughter of boys who had reached puberty. Killing children is proscribed on economic, not moral grounds. Dead children could not be sold into slavery.
- Exclusivity–only Allah has the right to be worshiped. Examine 3:2 as translated by Hilali & Khan.Allâh! Lâ ilahâ illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Note that they include the transliterated Arabic. See also three alternative translations at USC.
- Supremacism–Islam must be dominant. 9:33. It is He Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad) with guidance and the religion of truth (Islâm), to make it superior over all religions even though the Mushrikûn (polytheists, pagans, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allâh) hate (it). Bukhari Volume 4, Book 53, Number 355:Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ashari:A bedouin asked the Prophet, “A man may fight for the sake of booty, and another may fight so that he may be mentioned by the people, and a third may fight to show his position (i.e. bravery); which of these regarded as fighting in Allah’s Cause?” The Prophet said, “He who fights so that Allah’s Word (i.e. Islam) should be superior, fights for Allah’s Cause.” Bukhari Volume 6, Book 60, Number 80:
Narrated Abu Huraira:
The Verse:–“You (true Muslims) are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind.” means, the best of peoples for the people, as you bring them with chains on their necks till they embrace Islam.
- Triumphalism: 3:111 They will do you no harm, barring a trifling annoyance; and if they fight against you, they will show you their backs, and they will not be helped. 3:125 “Yes, if you hold on to patience and piety, and the enemy comes rushing at you; your Lord will help you with five thousand angels having marks (of distinction).” 3:127 That He might cut off a part of those who disbelieve, or expose them to infamy, so that they retire frustrated. 3:160 If Allâh helps you, none can overcome you; and if He forsakes you, who is there after Him that can help you? And in Allâh (Alone) let believers put their trust. 13:41 See they not that We gradually reduce the land (of disbelievers, by giving it to the believers, in war victories) from its outlying borders. And Allâh judges, there is none to put back His Judgement and He is Swift at reckoning.
- Jihad: fighting in Allah’s cause. This is not Jihad an-Nafs– against the self/temptation. Who is liable to be killed struggleing against temptation? 3:145, 3:154, 3:156,. 3:157 And if you are killed or die in the Way of Allâh, forgiveness and mercy from Allâh are far better than all that they amass (of worldly wealths, etc.). Jihad is mandatory, not optional. 2:216 Jihâd (holy fighting in Allâh’s Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allâh knows but you do not know.
- Jihad against Pagans: 8:39 And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and polytheism: i.e. worshipping others besides Allâh) and the religion (worship) will all be for Allâh Alone [in the whole of the world ]. But if they cease (worshipping others besides Allâh), then certainly, Allâh is All-Seer of what they do.
- Jihad against Jews, Christians & Zoroastrians: 9:29 Fight against those who (1) believe not in Allâh, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allâh and His Messenger (4) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islâm) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.
- Terrorism: 3:151 We shall cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve, because they joined others in worship with Allâh, for which He had sent no authority; their abode will be the Fire and how evil is the abode of the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrongdoers). 8:12 (Remember) when your Lord inspired the angels, “Verily, I am with you, so keep firm those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who have disbelieved, so strike them over the necks, and smite over all their fingers and toes.” 33:26-27 And those of the people of the Scripture who backed them (the disbelievers) Allâh brought them down from their forts and cast terror into their hearts, (so that) a group (of them) you killed, and a group (of them) you made captives. And He caused you to inherit their lands, and their houses, and their riches, and a land which you had not trodden (before). And Allâh is Able to do all things.
- Genocide: 8:67 It is not for a Prophet that he should have prisoners of war (and free them with ransom) until he had made a great slaughter (among his enemies) in the land. You desire the good of this world (i.e. the money of ransom for freeing the captives), but Allâh desires (for you) the Hereafter. And Allâh is All-Mighty, All-Wise. 47:4 So, when you meet (in fight Jihâd in Allâh’s Cause), those who disbelieve smite at their necks till when you have killed and wounded many of them, then bind a bond firmly (on them, i.e. take them as captives). Thereafter (is the time) either for generosity (i.e. free them without ransom), or ransom (according to what benefits Islâm), until the war lays down its burden. Thus [you are ordered by Allâh to continue in carrying out Jihâd against the disbelievers till they embrace Islâm (i.e. are saved from the punishment in the Hell-fire) or at least come under your protection], but if it had been Allâh’s Will, He Himself could certainly have punished them (without you). But (He lets you fight), in order to test you, some with others. But those who are killed in the Way of Allâh, He will never let their deeds be lost,
The Qur’an does not say that? Prove it! I provided links to the King Fahd Complex For Printing The Noble Qur’an. Click them, read them and prove me wrong.
The Qur’an does not mean that? Prove it! 3:7 says otherwise: It is He Who has sent down to you (Muhammad ) the Book (this Qur’ân). In it are Verses that are entirely clear, they are the foundations of the Book [and those are the Verses of Al-Ahkâm (commandments, etc.), Al-Farâ’id (obligatory duties) and Al-Hudud (legal laws for the punishment of thieves, adulterers, etc.)]; and others not entirely clear. So as for those in whose hearts there is a deviation (from the truth) they follow that which is not entirely clear thereof, seeking Al-Fitnah (polytheism and trials, etc.), and seeking for its hidden meanings, but none knows its hidden meanings save Allâh. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: “We believe in it; the whole of it (clear and unclear Verses) are from our Lord.” And none receive admonition except men of understanding. (Tafsir At-Tabarî).
In evidence whereof, I submit Ibn Kathir’s Tafsir: The Mutashabihat and Muhkamat Ayat . Who knows more about the Qur’an, you or Ibn Kathir, who spent his whole life studying it?
8:39, 9:29, 8:12 & 8:67 don’t say what they mean? Lets see what Ibn Kathir has to say about that:
- The Command to strike the Enemies’ Necks, tighten Their Bonds, and then free Them either by an Act of Grace or for a Ransom
Then how did Muhammad apply those ayat?
- Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Number 387:
Narrated Anas bin Malik:
Allah’s Apostle said, “I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: ‘None has the right to be worshipped but Allah.’ And if they say so, pray like our prayers, face our Qibla and slaughter as we slaughter, then their blood and property will be sacred to us and we will not interfere with them except legally and their reckoning will be with Allah.” Narrated Maimun ibn Siyah that he asked Anas bin Malik, “O Abu Hamza! What makes the life and property of a person sacred?” He replied, “Whoever says, ‘None has the right to be worshipped but Allah’, faces our Qibla during the prayers, prays like us and eats our slaughtered animal, then he is a Muslim, and has got the same rights and obligations as other Muslims have.”
- Bukhari Volume 4, Book 52, Number 220:
Narrated Abu Huraira:Allah’s Apostle said, “I have been sent with the shortest expressions bearing the widest meanings, and I have been made victorious with terror (cast in the hearts of the enemy), and while I was sleeping, the keys of the treasures of the world were brought to me and put in my hand.” Abu Huraira added: Allah’s Apostle has left the world and now you, people, are bringing out those treasures (i.e. the Prophet did not benefit by them).
- Abu Dawud Book 38, Number 4390:
Narrated Atiyyah al-Qurazi:
I was among the captives of Banu Qurayzah. They (the Companions) examined us, and those who had begun to grow hair (pubes) were killed, and those who had not were not killed. I was among those who had not grown hair.
- Bukhari Volume 5, Book 59, Number 512:
The Prophet offered the Fajr Prayer near Khaibar when it was still dark and then said, “Allahu-Akbar! Khaibar is destroyed, for whenever we approach a (hostile) nation (to fight), then evil will be the morning for those who have been warned.” Then the inhabitants of Khaibar came out running on the roads. The Prophet had their warriors killed, their offspring and woman taken as captives. Safiya was amongst the captives, She first came in the share of Dahya Alkali but later on she belonged to the Prophet . The Prophet made her manumission as her ‘Mahr’.
What does Islamic law say about Jihad?
- The Reliance of the Traveller. Version 1.06 – By Ahmad Ibn Naqib Al-Misri
BOOK O: JUSTICE >> Chapter O-9.0: Jihad
O-9.8: The Objectives of Jihad
The caliph (o-25) makes war upon Jews, Christians, and Zoroastrians (N: provided he has first invited them to enter Islam in faith and practice, and if they will not, then invited them to enter the social order of Islam by paying the non-Muslim poll tax (jizya, def: o-11.4) -which is the significance of their paying it, not the money itself-while remaining in their ancestral religions) (O: and the war continues) until they become Muslim or else pay the non-Muslim poll tax
The caliph fights all other peoples until they become Muslim (O: because they are not a people with a Book, nor honored as such, and are not permitted to settle with paying the poll tax (jizya) ) (n: though according to the Hanafi school, peoples of all other religions, even idol worshippers, are permitted to live under the protection of the Islamic state if they either become Muslim or agree to pay the poll tax, the sole exceptions to which are apostates from Islam and idol worshippers who are Arabs, neither of whom has any choice but becoming Muslim (al-Hidaya sharh Bidaya al-mubtadi’ (y-21), 6.48-49) ).
The Caliph does what?! He makes war; he fights!!! In the normal course of business!!! That is Islamic law. Need a second opinion? How about two?
- Al-Shafi’i (God have mercy on him) said: “The least that the imam must do is that he allow no year to pass without having organised a military expedition by himself, or by his raiding parties, according to the Muslims’ interest, so that the jihad will only be stopped in a year for a (reasonable) excuse.” He said: “If he did not undertake the sending of enough troops to fight, those who are absent (must) go out, and consider as an obligation that which God (who is praised) said.”
- …one must go on jihad (i.e., warlike razzias or raids) at least once a year…one may use a catapult against them [non-Muslims] when they are in a fortress, even if among them are women and children. One may set fire to them and/or drown them…If a person of the Ahl al-Kitab [People of The Book – Jews and Christians, typically] is enslaved, his marriage is [automatically] revoked…One may cut down their trees…One must destroy their useless books. Jihadists may take as booty whatever they decide…they may steal as much food as they need…
What must the Imam do? How often?